Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Jute Plant Soup (Molokhia)

 This soup is made of Jute plant leaves and has tons of health and anti-aging benefits. It's an Egyptian soup and was a staple in Cleopatra's diet. I love greens and I love soup so I knew I had to try this! After reading about 20 recipes I came up with this somewhat simplified version using frozen jute plant and it was delicious! I used both chicken and meat since I couldn't decide, but if you prefer one over the other thats fine too... For a vegetarian version, just use veggie broth and potatoes instead of the meat.
1-2 packs of frozen jute plant 
1 lb of chicken ( I used the legs)
1 lb of beef (cubes or for stew or any other meat you like)
1 tbsp cumin
8 cups of chicken or beef broth (I made my own with the chicken and meat or you can use vegetable broth)
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tsp chicken powder or one cube
1 cup of chopped cilantro
1 cup of chopped parsley
salt and pepper


Heat a little olive oil in a large pot, add the meat and chicken and let it brown a little. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Let it cook on medium for about 1 hr or until meat is tender, if you don't use meat the cooking time will be less (around 30 minutes for chicken). Next add the jute plant and let the melt in (add more water or broth if the soup is too thick), then add everything else and cook on medium for an additional 40 minutes.
Garnish with herbs and olive oil and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment